Thursday, March 19, 2009

Small, Daily Sacrifices

This is one of my favorite illustration stories:
Fred Craddock, in an address to ministers, caught the practical implications of consecration. "To give my life for Christ appears glorious," he said. "To pour myself out for others ... to pay the ultimate price of martyrdom--I'll do it. I'm ready, Lord, to go out in a blaze of glory.

"We think giving our all to the Lord is like taking a $1,000 bill and laying it on the table--'Here's my life, Lord. I'm giving it all.'

"But the reality for most of us is that he sends us to the bank and has us cash in the $1,000 for quarters. We go through life putting out 25 cents here and 50 cents there. Listen to the neighbor kid's troubles instead of saying, 'Get lost.' Go to a committee meeting. Give up a cup of water to a shaky old man in a nursing home.

"Usually giving our life to Christ isn't glorious. It's done in all those little acts of love, 25 cents at a time. It would be easy to go out in a flash of glory; it's harder to live the Christian life little by little over the long haul."
Taken from Leadership Magazine, Vol. 5, No. 4

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those seemingly insignificant acts of kindness are not so small.

I tell you the truth, anyone who gives you a cup of water in my name because you belong to Christ will certainly not lose his reward.(Mark 9:41 NIV)