Monday, September 15, 2008

Baring It All At Church

Over the summer I filled the pulpit at a small rural church that averages 20 each Sunday.

During the time of sharing joys and concerns, an older woman stood up, pointed at her husband, and said this:
"Tomorrow is our 52nd wedding anniversary. And I'm proud to say that this is the only man who has ever seen me naked."
I can't say I've ever heard that kind of testimony before in church!

Afterward, during the coffee hour, I visited with the lady and offered my congratulations-- that is, on their wedding anniversary. And she replied, "I probably shouldn't have said that, but, I said what I said."

I'm glad she didn't stand up later in the service and say, "I'm sorry, but I need to clarify what I said earlier. Another man has seen my naked... my doctor."

No comments: