Thursday, July 16, 2009

My Rote Prayer

The other day my wife and I were praying with one of our kids before bed. The kids still say the rote, "Now I lay me down to sleep" and so to teach them to pray beyond that, my wife invites the kids to go further by prodding them, "Say something special."

Valerie, my middle child, then said a short prayer that I often say with the kids at breakfast. The kids have heard this prayer from me regularly, but yesterday was the first time I actually heard one of the kids say it themselves. It goes something like this. Call it Ted's rote prayer:

"Dear God, thank you for this brand new day. Thank you for all the things we're going to see, do, and learn. Help us to love you and obey you. Help us to love and obey our parents and our teachers. (A sentence about any particular need). We pray in Jesus name, Amen."

And that's my prayer for you today.

No comments: