Wednesday, February 22, 2006

You Embarass Me

One of our children's Christmas presents was A Charlie Brown Christmas. The DVD also contains the 1992 production, It's Christmastime Again, Charlie Brown.

Somewhere in those two shows is a line that Jenna, my 8 year old daughter, has picked up: "You embarass me." As you can imagine, Jenna has used this line out in public to create some rather embarassing moments for her parents. But I won't share that here.

Currently at church, I'm teaching confirmation class to 8 junior high students. One of my students-- Maggie--celebrated her birthday this past Sunday. I found out because Maggie's mother burst into the classroom and declared, "Hey everybody, today is Maggie's birthday."

When her mom left, I said to Maggie, "Your mother has taken it upon herself to embarass you today?"

Maggie replied, "No, she does that everyday."

POSTSCRIPT: My wife told me that after our daughter had overused the "You embarass me," phrase for several days, she asked, "Mom, what does embarass mean?"

No comments: