Friday, September 22, 2006

Salt and Sugar--A Tasty Combo

While scanning the newspaper's food section over breakfast today, I read Cathy Sagon's article about a new food trend:

"A sprinkle of salt makes sugar taste even sweeter: That's the basic flavor chemistry behind sweet-and-salty, the newest taste combo to hit the supermarket snack aisle. Granola bars, snack mix and microwave popcorn are all pushing new versions that pair these contrasting flavors."

According to Fran Bigelow, candy maker and founder of Fran's Chocolates in Seattle, "The salt adds complexity. You don't just taste sweet, you taste layers of flavor."

That observation made me think about Jesus' reference to salt, "You are the salt of the earth" (Matthew 5:13). Jesus is speaking of his followers, but you have to think he's including himself also in that statement.

Bigelow's statement made me think of my relationship to Jesus.

Knowing the Salt of the Earth has definitely added complexity to my life. I have the earthly dimension of going to work, mowing the lawn, paying bills, and taking out the trash. But added to that is the eternal dimension of prayer, devotion, and worship that infuses those earthy chores.

Knowing the Salt of the Earth has allowed me to taste multiple layers of sweetness. Loving my wife and kids is sweet; so is watching football, walking the dog, and gazing at the stars. Knowing Jesus adds another layer of flavor to them all.

If salt adds to sweet, I wonder what it'll do for sour?

I got plenty of that too.

No comments: