Friday, January 12, 2007

My Attempt to be Steven Wright

Jerry Seinfeld once said, "I will spend an hour taking an eight word sentence and making it five."

That's according to professional speaker and speech coach Patricia Fripp, who writes, "In comedy, the fewer the words between the set-up and the punch word, the bigger the laugh."

If that's true, then comedian Steven Wright is the master of humor delivered in a single line.

With classic lines such as:

Plan to be spontaneous tomorrow.

I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize.

Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect.

Writing comedy for a living must be a tough, but once in a while, a blind squirrel like myself thinks he caught a nut. So here's my one attempt to be like Stephen Wright:

Can you sentence a schizophrenic to solitary confinement?

No comments: