Wednesday, June 21, 2006

A Doctor's Exhortation

"Your life has value, even though you can't do everything you used to do."

These were the words I overheard a physician tell his patient this morning, as I sat in the adjoining patient room waiting for the doctor to conduct my annual physical.

I don't know what problem the patient had that prompted the doctor's words, but I can make one diagnosis--the patient must be near deaf.

Getting old can get discouraging. One of my senior saint friends puts it this way: "Golden years? Hell no, these are the rusty years!"

After visits to the nursing home, I sometimes wonder, "Which is worse: To have your mind, but not your body; or, have your body, but not your mind?"

Whichever way I end up in my old age, the Lord in Isaiah 46:3-4 makes a promise to all who are His:

"Listen to me, O house of Jacob, all you who remain of the house of Israel, you whom I have upheld since you were conceived, and have carried since your birth.

Even to your old age and gray hairs I am he, I am he who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you."

Yes, dear patient, your life has value.

No comments: