Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Persistence Pays Off

Hearing on Saturday night Gwen Clark's story of perseverance was interesting to me because in a few short hours, after I got home from the K-State football, I was going to preach on the Canaanite woman in Matthew 15:21-28 who persists in asking Jesus for her daughter's healing.

I asked Gwen, "What motivated you to work so hard?" She said, "I'd never won anything before."

Later on I thought, "Golly, and past experience suggests you won't win anything now!"

But that didn't stop Gwen. She kept her eye on the prize.

In a similar vein, the Canaanite woman persisted in asking Jesus. She displayed a dogged faith--even when God appeared aloof.

Frederick Dale Bruner writes, "Faith believes Jesus is good--even when reason isn't so sure."

Persistence pays off--in the spiritual and secular realm.

No comments: