Monday, August 27, 2007

Vick Finds Jesus, Admits Guilt

Atlanta Falcon QB Michael Vick pled guilty to charges of dog fighting and gambling in a Virginia courtroom today. He'll be sentenced in December.

Today's events cap off what the Associated Press calls, "one of the most rapid and startling falls from stardom in U.S. sports history." Indeed, when Vick first lied back to April to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell about his five year involvement in the dog fighting operation, Vick had the world by the tail. Money, power, and fame. Now, in four short months, Vick has lost his reputation, millions of dollars, and likely his NFL career.

After admitting guilt before U.S. District Judge Henry E. Hudson, Vick spoke of finding Jesus as he gave a nearly five minute impromptu apology before the media:
"Dog fighting is a terrible thing and I do reject it. I'm upset with myself. And through this situation I've found Jesus. And I've asked him for forgiveness and turned my life over to God. I think that's the right thing to do as of right now."
Vick's mentioning of Jesus isn't winning him any favor. Writes Michael David Smith at ProFootballTalk.com:
"If Vick thinks he's going to buy sympathy with a jailhouse conversion, he must think everyone watching is an idiot."
Frankly, I'm skeptical too about Vick's claim. Time will tell.

One thing is for sure.

Vick needs Jesus for a lot more than just sympathy.

No comments: