So what is its overarching idea? What are its grand themes? What do people need to know?
Pastor Matt Chandler of the Village Church in Highland, Texas has an interesting list of nine essentials:
• That we would see that the greatest problem in the universe is not mere moral failure – but a failure to honor God (Romans 1:21)What would you emphasize?
• That we would understand that discipline will never bring about love – but love always brings about discipline (Galatians 3:5)
• That we would realize that children of God are not under wrath – but mercy (Romans 9:23)
• That we would find that the fullness of all things – including life and joy – is in Christ (John 10:10)
• That we would experience a holy discontentment with where our lives are – and espouse the hope of what our lives can be (Romans 8:20)
• That we would recognize that God has purposefully placed us here – at this time, in this place – for His glory (Acts 17:26)
• That we would develop a taste for truth – even difficult ones (Psalm 119:11)
• That we would embrace Biblical Christianity – not American evangelicalism (2 Timothy 3:5)
• That we would believe in the miraculous gifts of the Holy Spirit – and desire them earnestly (1 Corinthians 14:39)