Friday, May 18, 2007

Graduation

"Wow, time really does move."

That's what I remember thinking back in 1979 when I graduated from high school in Cincinnati, Ohio. Grade school and high school seems liked forever to me. But ever since then, time has really moved. Just today, I got a graduation announcement from one of my college roommate's son's. Geez, I'm getting old!

On Thursday, Little River's three churches (Catholic, Methodist, and Congregational) celebrated Little River's senior graduates with a Baccalaureate Service. Principal Dawn Johnson said something to the students that really resonated with me: "We're excited for you. We're also living a bit vicariously through you. We can't wait to see what the future holds for you."

Dr. Craig Smith from nearby Sterling College gave the commencement address. Speaking from Mark 1:9-20, he offered God's blessings to our students, warned them of the temptation wilderness experiences awaiting them, and encouraged to respond to Jesus' call to "Follow me."

This Sunday afternoon is graduation ceremonies at Little River High School. Earlier in the morning, our church family will have a graduation breakfast for its college, 12th, and 8th grade students.

Our students have passed their tests. Now they go out into the "real" world. That's where the greatest of tests await. May you walk with God. And may you have the "time" of your life.

No comments: