Friday, May 12, 2006

3rd Verse Spirituality

Yesterday I was at the local nursing home leading the Thursday afternoon worship service.

Due to poor eyesight, only a couple of people can read the hymnbook. Most of them can barely sing. Those who sing do so with a whispery vigor. So usually, the singing is me accompanying myself on acoustic guitar.

One of the songs I shared was Philip Bliss' "Jesus Loves Even Me." It's not exactly the most well known hymn, not like "In the Garden" or "How Great Thou Art." But as I was singing it, I noticed that one of my church members in the home--Dorothy--was singing along with me--even on the 3rd verse. Heck, I could never do that without the lyrics in front of me.

I was amazed. But then again, maybe I shouldn't have been. Dorothy has walked with the Lord for a long, long time. She's 98 years old. She directed our choir for years, even played guitar. She's been at the home now for 3 years.

There's a song that says, "Give me that old time religion." I say, "Give me that 3rd verse spirituality." That walk with Jesus that goes down deep--even to the 3rd verse.

No comments: