Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Mel Gibson's BraveHeart Confession

By now you've probably heard that Mel Gibson, a Catholic and the creative force behind the 2004 movie Passion of the Christ, was arrested Friday, July 28 on a suspicion of drunk driving.

And--while getting arrested--he uttered quite a few colorful words and spewed out some despicable, racist epithets about Jews.

When Passion came out, critics questioned if it was anti-Semitic. Now that Gibson said as much while drunk, people are connecting the dots--thinking he really does hate Jews.

I don't know about you, but I admit times when terrible thoughts run quietly through my mind. Sometimes I welcome them and make them mine. Sometimes I repudiate them and put them out of my mind.

When people call us to account for the bad things we say, how we respond says a lot about us--and what we really believe about the things we said.

You've heard so-called apologies: "I'm sorry that people took it the wrong way." "If you got mad about it, forgive me." "I didn't mean to create all this attention." And of course, "My lawyers have told me not to talk about this incident because it's a pending legal matter."

You'll probably keep hearing in the media what Gibson said during his arrest, but you won't hear much about what he said after. So if you miss it, you can read it here:

On Saturday, Gibson released the following statement:

"After drinking alcohol on Thursday night, I did a number of things that were very wrong and for which I am ashamed. I drove a car when I should not have, and was stopped by the LA County Sheriffs. The arresting officer was just doing his job and I feel fortunate that I was apprehended before I caused injury to any other person. I acted like a person completely out of control when I was arrested, and said things that I do not believe to be true and which are despicable. I am deeply ashamed of everything I said. Also, I take this opportunity to apologize to the deputies involved for my belligerent behavior. They have always been there for me in my community and indeed probably saved me from myself. I disgraced myself and my family with my behavior and for that I am truly sorry. I have battled with the disease of alcoholism for all of my adult life and profoundly regret my horrific relapse. I apologize for any behavior unbecoming of me in my inebriated state and have already taken necessary steps to ensure my return to health."

Have you ever seen a more complete apology from a public figure? I think Gibson has more than fulfilled the pre-requisite of 1 John 1:9--"If we confess our sins, God is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness."

Hey Mel, God forgives you. May He now clean you up.

No comments: