Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Peter Pace's Public Pickle

Marine General Peter Pace is in a public pickle.

During an interview with journalists from the Chicago Tribune, General Pace is quoted in a March 12 story saying he supports the military's "Don't ask, don't tell" policy because, "I believe homosexual acts between two individuals are immoral and that we should not condone immoral acts."

Pace is the Joint Chief of Staff and is the principal military adviser to President Bush.

In a Reuters story a day later, Pace back-tracked slightly, but didn't apologize for his original remarks: "
In expressing my support for the current policy, I also offered some personal opinions about moral conduct. I should have focused more on my support of the policy and less on my personal moral views."

The Tribune says its interview with Pace was "wide-ranging," but 80% of the filed story focuses on Pace's homosexual remark. Add the avalanche of criticism that's now heading Pace's way, it all goes to show that condemning homosexual acts will win you no friends in the public square.

John Warner, the ranking
Republican of the Senate Armed Services Committee, quickly took issue with General Pace, saying, "I respectfully but strongly disagree with the chairman’s view that homosexuality is immoral."

I know Mr. Warner is a United States Senator, but I'm pretty sure there's an authority slightly higher than Warner who disagrees.

No comments: